BEIT HADASSAHSettlement الدبويا DABOYAEH The first settlement established in the center of the city of Hebron. The compound is com-posed of mainly residential units surrounding the main building, which is easily recognizable due to the pitched roof and monu-mental facade created from multiple stars of David. Nowa-days, inside, apartments are located on the upper floor, while a museum for the Jewish version of the history of Hebron and memorial for 67 Jews killed during the Hebron massacre of 1929 is found on the ground floor. The building’s ground floor was built in the 1880’s byHebronite Jews. At the begin- ning of the 20th century, it served as a Jewish hospital. In a later period, it was used as a dairy factory by the Abu Aiseh and Ezra family, until the Ezra family moved to Jerusalem in the middle of the 1940’s. After The War of 1948 when a large number of refugees started arriving in Hebron from Palestin-ian lands occupied by Israel, the building was used by UNRWA and later served as a school till the mid- 1970’s. In 1979, ten Jewish women from the Qiryat Arba settlement and their children broke into the building (which was empty at the time) and began to squat there. The Israeli government didn’t formal-ly recognize the settlement, but neither did it attempt to remove the settlers. The settlement was eventually acknowledged and the Israeli government helped to restore and expand it. Part of the settlement was located on existing Palestinian buildings. Two residential caravans on a nearby street are also part of the complex. Al-Shuhadastreet Protectivenet Settlers’Museum Road closedto Palestiians Elements of the occupation Settlers’ buildings